Monday, June 27, 2011

Kursk Nuclear Power Plant

The Nuclear power station Kursk (Russian: Курская АЭС) is located in western Russia on the bank of the Seym River about 40 kilometers west of the city of Kursk. The nearby town of Kurchatov was founded when construction of the plant began. The plant feeds the grid for Kursk Oblast and 19 other regions.

The reactors at the plant are the now obsolete RBMK type, the same type used at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. The plant was originally equipped with two reactors. Four more reactors were added between 1976 and 1985.

The Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and the neighbouring town of Kurchatov stood in for the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant and Pripyat for the production of the 1991 American television movie Chernobyl: The Final Warning.

An engineer of the control panel is regularly tested by psychologists. It is really the very hard work.










The reactor hall. The active reactor zone is a laying of graphite blocks with cylindrical fuel apertures. The reactor is surrounded by a light protective shroud and steel plates. Tanks with water stand near it and all spaces are covered with sand.

The process channel is a tube construction with 18 heat-generating assemblies fastened in a frame. The radiation background in the plant exceeds the norm for 1000 times.




 


 The turbine hall. It is rather noisy in the hall, all workers go in special protective headpieces or earplugs.
 Containers with used fuel.




Did you like the post?

No comments:

Post a Comment